Skip to Content

Toll Free: (800) 484-4381

Kelley Kronenberg

F and M Visas

F and M Visas

F-1 Visa for students and M Visa for vocational training:

The F-1 visa is for students who wish to study in the United States. It is necessary to obtain authorization from the respective educational institution before being able to apply for an F-1 visa; after approval, you will receive from the training institute the required documentation to proceed with the visa application.

Although a B visa may be sufficient for short and purely incidental trips, the F-1 visa is not only necessary when the main purpose of the trip is to attend a school, but often also provides greater guarantees or future opportunities. For example, within the duration of the F-1 visa, you can apply for OPT status (Optional Practice Training), which allows you to work up to 20 hours per week during the training period, or even full-time, for the period of one year, once you have finished school education. On the contrary, it is not possible to request an OPT on or after a B visa; regardless of the OPT, already with the F-1 visa, it will be possible to carry out the work within the training institute, which is not allowed by the B visa.

M visa has a similar functionality to the F-1 visa but is dedicated to non-academic training, for example in the field of cooking or art. 

Visas for members of the student’s family F-2:

The husband of the student with an F-1 visa, as well as the children of the latter, as long as they are not married and are under 21 years old, can enter the US. UU with an F-2 visa. The F-2 visa does not allow you to work or study, but only to accompany the student holding the F-1 visa. To obtain an F-2 visa, you must show that you have sufficient financial resources to cover your life needs in the U.S.A. during the period of stay guaranteed by the F-2.