February 28, 2023Share
Black History Month Employee Spotlight: Michael A. Bryan
- Name: Michael A. Bryan
- Title: Associate Attorney
- Years at KK: Approximately 1.5 years
- Moment in black history that influenced or shaped my career:
- Favorite Quote or Mantra: “Justice in the life and conduct of the State is possible only as first it resides in the hearts and souls of the citizens.”- Plato
- Why celebrating Black History Month is important: Celebrating Black History Month is important because Black History is ultimately American History. It is imperative that we educate all Americans, regardless of race, of the integral role Black Americans have played in the development and overall success of our country. The denial or omission of Black History Month would be the denial or omission of a large portion of our own American history.
- Who inspires me: My parents are the people who have inspired me the most. They moved to this country from Jamaica in their early twenties with nothing but two suitcases between them. It has been said that the path to success for a Black American in this country is filled with trials and tribulations, immense struggles, and numerous obstacles. Witnessing my two immigrant parents become successful through hard work and dedication proved to me that despite the seemingly difficult task to succeed as a Black American, it is indeed possible, and the possibilities are endless. While there may be challenges and always will be, I’ve always believed that I could succeed regardless of race, all because of the amazing example my parents set for me.
- I just wanted to add that this assignment was extremely thought-provoking for me. I’ve never taken the opportunity to sit down and ask myself these questions. I appreciate you including me in this Black History Month Spotlight and providing me with the opportunity to look within and address thoughts and feelings that I may have previously had/have, but never publicly shared with others. Often for me, it’s uncomfortable discussing these topics because it is a delicate subject, and regardless of how I may feel, making others uncomfortable has never sat well with me. Again, thank you for the opportunity and safe space to reveal my thoughts and feelings publicly on a subject that is not only near and dear to me, but has been the core of my existence for 37 years!